Whether it’s drug use, sex or overspending, do you wonder if your behavior is crossing the line into addiction? Dr. Gary Stollman, Ph.D., is a psychotherapist who helps individuals overcome self-defeating patterns of behavior. He gives 10 key signs of having an addiction.
1) Recurrent failure (pattern) to resist impulses.
2) Frequently engaging in those behaviors to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended.
3) Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to stop, reduce or control those behaviors.
4) Inordinate amount of time spent in obtaining the object of addiction and/or engaging in or recovering from the behavior.
5) Preoccupation with the behavior or preparatory activities.
6) Frequently engaging in behavior when expected to fulfill occupational, academic, domestic or social obligations.
7) Continuation of the behavior despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent social, academic, financial, psychological or physical problem that is caused or exacerbated by the behavior.
8) Need to increase the intensity, frequency, number or risk of behaviors to achieve the desired effect, or diminished effect with continued behaviors at the same level of intensity, frequency, number or risk.
9) Giving up or limiting social, occupational or recreational activities because of the behavior.
10) Resorting to distress, anxiety, restlessness or violence if unable to engage in the behavior at times.
This story originally was originally published by Dr Phil
l View Hide Sources:
Seeking addiction treatment can feel overwhelming. We know the struggle, which is why we're uniquely qualified to help.
Your call is confidential, and there's no pressure to commit to treatment until you're ready. As a voluntary facility, we're here to help you heal -- on your terms. Our sole focus is getting you back to the healthy, sober life you deserve, and we are ready and waiting to answer your questions or concerns 24/7.
l Family & Friends
l Dual Diagnosis
l Inpatient Treatment
You don’t have to go through detox and rehab treatment alone. Get the help you need today. Speak with a treatment specialist now about the struggles you are facing.
Enter your phone number below
You will receive a call from a treatment specialist