Ask A Therapist
When I drink, I am mean to my loving husband. Do I need help?
Alcohol And Domestic Violence - Freedom From Addiction

I am able to stop drinking for weeks on end, but there are times when I drink I am rather mean to my loving husband. He doesn't deserve it he is the best husband a woman can ask for. Why do I take it out on him when I drink. How do I know if I need help? I don't want to lose him. Should I see a physiatrist?


Hi Laura. Thank you for contacting me. Without knowing how much you drink, how often, and other consequences of your drinking, I cannot say if you have a diagnosable problem. However, if your behavior changes and you are “mean” to your husband when you drink and don’t want to hurt or lose him, that sounds like enough of a consequence to warrant making changes and getting help. My suggestion is that you go see a Psychologist with some expertise in both alcohol use disorder and relationships. If you would like help locating professionals in your area, please do not hesitate to reach out again. I am happy to help.

* All responses provided by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.

Ask Our Therapists Important Questions, Get The Answer You Need
r Ask A Question
Ask Your Question

Fill out the form below and a Therapist will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Our team of specialists will give you more information about treatment.

o1-877-240-0450 l

Call Now or enter your phone number in the form below and a Treatment Specialist will reach out to you shortly.

You Are Not AlonE!

Get the help you need today. You don’t have to go through detox and rehab treatment alone. Speak with a treatment specialist now about the struggles you are facing.

oCall Now l

Enter your phone number below
You will receive a call from a treatment specialist